Shielded metal arc welding or stick welding is one of the oldest forms of fabrication and still it is in use. It was developed in the 19th century when industrialization was taking place in Europe and America. It is one of the most cost-efficient and successful types of welding. In this article we are going to present some interesting facts about the shielded metal arc welding process which are mentioned below:
- Cost-effective & simple process: Shielded metal arc welding process is highly versatile as it works on different kinds of applications. Stick welding machines work on both alternating current as well as direct current (AC/DC) it all depends upon the welding consumables requirement. The reason for calling the shielded metal arc welding process simple is because all welders get the education about it, in the first stage only hence it makes stick welding a cost-effective & simple process.
- Adaptability on most of the welding positions: Shielded metal arc welding provides flexibility to weld on different positions such as flat positions, horizontal positions, vertical positions, and overhead positions which makes stick welding highly adaptable.
- Ability to generate flux itself: In stick welding, the electrodes which are consumed by the is able to generate their own flux which helps in preventing the weld pool from getting oxidized or getting contaminated from the external environment.
- Portability: Stick welding technology is getting upgraded day by day, the new inverter technology is small as compared to the previous machine or any other welding machine so due to which portability became an automatic feature for the shielded metal arc welding process.
- Low sensitivity to the wind: Stick welding process has a low sensitivity to wind and drafts as compared to any other welding process which enables a high penetration rate with quality welds.